Wednesday 19 September 2012

Boyband Bonanza Pt. 1 - Summer Mixtape Festival, Day One

The 2012 Summer Mixtape Festival consisted of two of my favorite things - boy bands and good friends! At this point, is there anything I will not do for the Backstreet Boys? After travelling roughly 4647km, I think the answer is clear. On Friday, August 17th we arrived in Hershey, PA in our appropriately decorated wheels. 

When there are that many fans in one location, lines are to be expected. At the same time, when there are that many individuals checking in for the same event there should be more then one or two people doing the check-in. Regardless, we got checked in and our snazzy VIP laminates. Once we made it into the venue, the rain started. The flashy ponchos and (confiscated) umbrellas were a result. Once we were thoroughly wet, and there was no hope of remaining dry we decided to embrace the rain that stayed with us all night. If you ask me, it only added to the experience!

There were two stages at the festival, and the artists alternated stages. If you wanted a great spot, you had to pick a stage and stick with it. That's what myself and a few other girls decided to do since the New Kids on the Block would be performing on that stage at the end of the night. 

First up on the stage we were at was Aaron Carter. Yes, Nick Carter's younger brother. I will be honest, I had lost touch with the younger Carter after I turned ten. It had been raining hard which caused a slight delay, but when Aaron Carter took that rain soaked stage I turned back into that ten year old screaming girl! I loved every minute of it.

While standing at the stage that the New Kids would be performing on we did miss a few acts on the other stage. We missed DJ Fly, DJ Cheapshot, Carolina Liar and The Fray. I will say that The Fray sounded great! We did get the treat of the witnessing a band called Steel Panther. There are no words, but they certainly made us laugh. I was excited for DJ Pauly D. I don't understand the DJ phenomenon, but my dirty little secret is how cute I find Pauly D! 

I had never seen NKOTB perform without the Backstreet Boys. The NKOTBSB madness had made me into a New Kids fan, and I was excited! Even the rain couldn't stop the infectious excitement caused by a legendary boy band. 











There were fireworks, Jon singing step five, a shirtless Donnie, Joey stealing Jordan's microphone after dropping his own, hip thrusts, the crowd singing Donnie happy birthday and at the end of the show 98 Degrees joined the boys on stage. The New Kids did not disappoint!

Afterwards, we made our way over to the other stage where Kelly Clarkson would perform. She is incredibly talented! Her voice is flawless, and her concert is worth seeing. At one point, she invited Joey McIntyre to the stage to sing Don't You Want to Stay. I wasn't expecting to, but I knew every word of every song. I thoroughly enjoyed myself!
The last event of the evening was Donnie Wahlberg's birthday celebration in the VIP tent. It was difficult to hear, and even more difficult to see so we did not stay long. The next day would be a big one, so we headed back to the hotel for a teeny-tiny bit of rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment