Sunday 29 January 2012

How did I fall in love with you?

I've made my country obsession quite clear, so now I'd like to address an even larger obsession of mine. An obsession that's been in the making for over fifteen years.. My name is Kristen, and I am addicted to the Backstreet Boys.

It all started when I was an innocent, impressionable seven year old. My mother brought home a cassette tape labelled 'Backstreet Boys'. My poor, naive mother. She never saw it coming. From that moment forward, I have been hooked (and she's been broke). I had all the cassette tapes until an unfortunate car wreck took them from me - don't worry, I forgave my mother. I eventually replaced my collection with CDs, and it grew to DVDs. Now fifteen years later, I am a young adult still enjoying the pure magic of the Backstreet Boys.

I saw my first concert when I was eleven years old. My aunt had just celebrated a birthday, and she wanted to do something different. She decided she would buy everyone else gifts. A nice gesture, right? I had never received concert tickets as a gift. I had never even been to a real concert! The gift my sister and I received were two tickets to the Black & Blue Tour in Vancouver, BC. I was shocked, and thrilled. My aunt had planned it so that she'd be able to take us. She's a school teacher, but the concert was scheduled for the summer months so she'd have the time off. She might have been just as excited as us!

On July 9th, 2001 the tour was postponed in order for AJ to enter a rehab. When the tour resumed towards the end of August, our tour date had been rescheduled. The school year had started, and my aunt was no longer able to take us. She was devastated. To this day, she is still angry with AJ. She jokes about joining us on the next cruise so that she may have a chance to yell at him. Needless to say, I'd keep her far, far away from Mr. McLean!

The first time I saw the boys live was on October 1st, 2001 in Vancouver, BC at General Motors Place. My parents, my sister and I made the seven hour journey. I don't remember the drive down, but I am sure it involved every Backstreet Boy album I owned - as do most roadtrips now. I do remember what took place in the hotel room before the concert. I decided that writing the names of all five boys on my arms and then covering them with stickers was a good idea, as an eleven year old would. We were so close to the arena that my mother, sister and I were able to walk. I can still remember the overwhelming feeling of chaos outside the arena. Once we were in, we took our seats. We had average seats. Probably lower bowl, a few rows up. I don't remember much of the concert. I wouldn't be able to tell what they sang or when they sang it, but I do remember - as clear as day - opening with Everyone. I believe it's the only time I've heard it. I also remember the drop-down catwalk, and telling my mother Brian had waved at me. We were no where near close enough for a wave to take place, but I was certain it happened. I also remember when AJ McLean, resident bad boy as well as my lifelong favorite, emerged from the floor wearing the silky white suit. I'm sure there wasn't a dry eye in the house! Overall, it was an amazing experience and one I am hoping to always remember.


The next time I saw the Backstreet Boys was in 2005. That summer had not been kind. I had lost a friend of mine suddenly, and my father had also suffered a massive heart attack. Luckily, he survived. As a fifteen year old, it was a lot to process.

A friend of mine, an active Backstreet fan, had bought two tickets and asked me to join her. I'll be honest, I had fallen from grace briefly. I wasn't as involved with the boys as I had once been, and I didn't even know they were touring so close to us. But I jumped at the offer to see them in concert! On September 4th, 2005, we drove to Kelowna, BC to see the Never Gone show. We checked into the hotel, relaxed for a few hours and prepared ourselves for the concert. Her mother dropped off a few blocks away from Prospera Place, and we walked the rest of the way. We began to discuss how we'd react at the concert. My friend told me that I didn't have to worry, that she wasn't a screamer. As we approached the venue, we noticed a group of girls forming at the fences near the tour buses. As we got close we heard screaming. That was our cue! We joined the group at the fence, and I noticed that the boys were coming out one by one to sign autographs. I didn't get anything signed, but it was the closest I had ever been - which was good enough for me! Kevin was the first boy we saw, and immediately my friend started screaming. So much for not being a screamer, eh?

Kevin, Howie and Nick came out to say hi. Afterwards, we headed inside to take our seats. I was floored - literally - by our seats. We were four rows from the stage. Unlike the Black & Blue tour, I had a camera this time and was able to capture the magic for myself. (Unfortunately those pictures are on a CD, buried somewhere. Eventually I'll dig them out and post them.) This was the last time I'd see Kevin in concert, and the last time I'd see Nick heavy and very, very sweaty - thank goodness!


It was quite a few years before I saw the boys again. I missed the Unbreakable tour. Normally I wouldn't make excuses for such foolish behavior, but I had just moved to Calgary, AB. The day of the concert was the same day I was moving into my dorm. I had also slipped, again. I didn't know the boys were intown. I found out late, and had no one to go with. After I got to know my roommate a bit better, I found out she had gone to the conert.. That was a bitter pill to swallow.

A year later, they were back. As soon as the tour was announced, I marked the date on the calendar. I was planning to move to Calgary, AB for school, so we made the trip a family affair to look at apartments as well. We spent all day looking at apartment after apartment, the whole ordeal was exhausting. We got ready for the concert back at our hotel room, and then my sister and I headed to the Saddledome. I bought far too many t-shirts! For some reason, I wasn't sure if I'd have another chance to (or if the boys would tour again). I was quite impressed with our seats. To get better seats, I had purchased seats in different rows. My sister was sitting directly behind me, but when the concert started she wiggled her way next to me. We were in the lower bowl, only a two or three rows from the floor. Shawn Desman opened, and signed autographs afterwards - my sister wouldn't let me go, she was afraid we'd miss something. Then Baylee came out, in all his cuteness, to introduce the boys. My sister and I had an incredible time belting out our favorite songs. My spark for the Backstreet Boys was back, and I was ready for more - much more!

2 comments:

  1. Oh....the first backstreet concert is such a memorable experience. I would love to go back and relive that night!

    Oh and I actually LOLed at this phrase "From that moment forward, I have been hooked (and she's been broke)."

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved reading about your backstreet adventures!!!

    i also laughed at "i have been hooked (and she's been broke)"...its a statement i know all too well...haha!!!

    ReplyDelete