Friday 3 February 2012

NKOTBS extravaganza! (Last installment)

The two NKOTBSB shows in Vancouver, BC were my first two concerts seen back-to-back. I thought the hangover from one concert was bad, but after two I thought my head was going to implode. I was exhausted, but we weren't finished yet. We flew from Vancouver to Kelowna, and from Kelowna we drove back to Revelstoke. From Revelstoke, BC we drove to Calgary, AB. I love Calgary. I love the Backstreet Boys (I was even starting to love the New Kids on the Block). And I loved the Stampede. In the next three days, we were doing to get to experience all of it!

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011
We got to Calgary the day before, but we just used it as a recuperation period. When we had (impulsively) bought our second set of Gold VIPs for the Calgary concert, we decided we wouldn't tell our parents right away. Our mother is a sweet lady, but she is very involved. While we're driving, we have pit stops that we have to call her at along the way. If we don't, she tends to worry. When we're out of town, she likes us to check in once and awhile - or else she worries. We had to figure out a way to get the VIP event done without her figuring it out - we had to lie. So on Wednesday morning we got up, we got dressed and we headed down to the Stampede grounds at the Pengrowth Saddledome where the concert would be that night.

Once we were at the Saddledome, the trick was to figure out where we were suppose to be. I am much more familiar with the Saddledome than I was with Rogers Arena, so it wasn't too difficult. This VIP also appeared to be a tad bit more organized. The ladies at the box office were able to tell us in what general area we should be waiting, so we sat and we waited. We were eventually moved inside - this is where things got sticky. There was Backstreet VIPs, there was New Kids VIPs, and there was contest winners all in the same area. I was nervous because we all new we weren't going to the same place. I noticed Justin and decided wherever he was, was where we needed to be. So we sat and waited some more.

We got our Gold passes from Justin, and got in line. Justin announced that we were actually ahead of schedule (which never happens on Backstreet time), and the stage wasn't quite finished yet so we had to wait up top a bit longer. It was a bit of a tedious wait, but I was eavesdropping on the conversations going on around us. In the Platinum line up, there was two girls discussing their previous concert experiences. It sounded like one girl had basically flown all over the world to see the NKOTBSB tour. Then next to them was a young married couple - they were my favorite. They couldn't have been much older than me, and they were discussing where she was going to put the picture of her and the boys. She decided she would put it next to their bed, and he didn't seem to thrilled by the idea. It was sweet to see a husband - no matter how young - supporting something his wife is clearly so passionate about.

We were finally lead down to the floor where I would be meeting the Backstreet Boys for the second time in a matter of days. I was thrilled. You always remember your first, but I might have been a tiny bit more excited this time around because I had already had a taste of how amazing it was going to be. We took our seats - even closer this time! We were in the second row. We had to wait a bit longer than before because, as they typical do, the boys were running a bit late.

Late or not, it was all forgotten when those four boys came out. Brian was talking on the phone - which he got heckled for - and explained that it was his mom. I've only done two VIPs - I am by no means a seasoned veteran - but those boys are always on their phones! They sang the same songs they sang in Vancouver. (A little variety would have been nice, but I am not complaining!) They each answered a question. I almost stuck my hand up to ask AJ a question about his wedding, and chickened out at the last minute. Justin did choose the husband of the young lady doing Platinum to ask a question which was very entertaining. I think the boys might have been a bit surprised to see a male doing Platinum who wanted to ask them a question - I don't think that would happen every day. AJ was in a great mood! He was poking fun at Justin, and goofing around. Nick joined in, and the two of them looked like little kids up there.



When the boys were finished horsing around, it was picture time. Jenna and I decided to stick the routine and have picture taken together. There's no harm in sharing the boys! That way we get two photos, and we each get to stand beside each boy. It's perfect. While we were standing in line, we heard shrieking. Turns out Nick had one of those mini shock devices, and he was using it on the boys and the bodyguards - whoever he could. He was thrilled by it, just like a child. As the line was moving, I became more and more aware of how close we were. The first time it happened so fast! I can barely remember the details. I wanted to try and take this moment in. Especially when you accidently touch Nick's bum!! I was standing between Nick and Brian - Brian is so short and Nick is so tall. When I reached my arms around, my hand just ended up in the wrong place. I was mortified! And I apologized. Nick just laughed and said it happened all the time. He's too damn cute!



When the VIP event was over, my sister and I walked around the Stampede grounds. I wasn't in the mood for any of the rides because the last thing I wanted was to end up nauseous during the concert. So we just walked to waste time. We had some lunch, and then just waited for the doors to open. Looking back on it now, we probably should have been waiting near the fence by the buses - AJ and Howie had come out to sign autographs. Whoops! Next time. When the doors opened, we hit the merchandise stand. I bought myself an NKOTBSB shirt (finally!) and the program. The program was expensive, and a pain in the butt to carry around the rest of the night. During the concert, I kept checking on it. I hadn't paid $30 to have something spilt on it or have someone step on it. Our seats were in the lower bowl, towards the back corner. I wasn't pleased with them when I had originally bought them, but by this point I had seen the concert from three different views - so all my pictures were a bit different.





Donnie Wahlberg is a show stopper.


"You drive me crazy 'cause you're one of a kind. I want your lovin' and I want it right now!"


"First time was a great time. Second was a blast. Third time I fell in love.."


"N-K-O-T-B-S-B!"




"Please don't go.. Joe!"


Nick Carter in a cowboy hat - I thought that was AJ's thing?

Nick and AJ switched hats.


 











AJ's entrance for Everybody gave me chills.




Our final goodbye.


1 comment:

  1. I LOLed when you said Nick had a shocking device with him at sound check. I didnt realize he was still playing those kind of pranks on the boys. Oh nick... haha

    ReplyDelete