Thursday 2 February 2012

NKOTBSB extravaganza!

Saturday, July 9th, 2011
My sister, Jenna, and I had flown in the day before. I am not Vancouver's biggest fan, so we didn't have much else planned. We did have to pick up our concert tickets and meet for our VIP event in the afternoon. I am very much the type of person who would rather be a few hours early rather then a couple minutes late. It was our first VIP experience, and I wasn't confident in the details so we decided to play it safe. We jumped in a cab and headed down to Rogers Arena around noon. We found the box office where we picked up our tickets for the next two nights. The ladies at the box office had no information regarding the VIP time, so we found somewhere to sit and people watch. I spotted Justin. I was new to this whole 'underground world' of Backstreet I had found online, but I did know that Justin played an important role. It's not like I was brave enough to approach him, so he went on his way and my sister and I were no closer to figuring out what time we should we be lining up for the VIP.

With plenty of time to kill, we decided to walk around the venue. We came across a cluster of tour buses, but there wasn't much movement inside or out so we kept walking. Jenna and I met two other girls who were exploring as well, so we talked for a bit and then went our separate ways. On the opposite side, we found a group of girls who appeared to be waiting for something (or someone). We joined in. We bumped into the two girls we had met earlier, and we waited with them. Nothing seemed to be happening in a hurry, so my sister decided we had killed enough time and it was time to head back to the box office. We said goodbye to our new friends, and went on our way.

If there's one thing I have learned during my recent Backstreet adventures, it's this - to be a Backstreet fan, you must be patient. We lined up and waited to get our Gold passes from Justin. We lined up with the other Gold ladies and waited behind the Platinums and in front of the Silvers. Justin finally lead us down to the floor where we would be watching the boys do their soundcheck. Jenna and I took our seats in the middle of the fourth row, and waited. I must remind you that my love and admiration for the men I was about to meet has been fifteen years in the making. As we waited for the boys to join us, that's when the real excitement started to set in. If I told you that I had butterflies, it wouldn't even begin to describe how I felt in that moment.

I was watching the stage anxiously. When the boys finally appeared, it was a surreal moment for me. I had seen them on TV, I had seen them in concert but I had never seen them so normal. I spotted AJ first, and I quietly leaned over to my sister and said "Look! There's AJ." I don't know why, but I felt the need to whisper - like if I spoke too loud, I'd scare them away.
They're here! Brian waving hello.

Nick Carter - As if he couldn't get any hotter, he adds a guitar.

Each boy answered a question.
This girl asked Nick to do the Everybody dance with her.
He obliged!

Just about photo time, so Brian was practicing his boyband pose.

The boys sang us three songs, each took a question and then we began the photo session. We had been talking with the girls next to us, and one of them was celebrating a birthday. She was a huge Brian fan, and desperately wanted a hug from him. It is quite clear that hugs are not allowed, but she asked anyway. She asked the bodyguard who was telling us when to the approach the boys (his name is Q, I learned later) if it would be okay to give Brian a hug. His reply made me laugh. He said, "What do I care? I am over here." and smiled at her. I've decided that the security team for the Backstreet Boys are some of the nicest men I've met. If you respect them and the rules, they'll respect you.

My sister and I decided to take our photo together, that way we would end up with two photos and would rotate who we stood beside. As we were approaching the boys, I don't think I was able to register what was happening. I thought I'd be all nervous and shaky, but I wasn't. I shook Howie's hand. I was taken back by the fact that I had just shook hands with Howie D from the Backstreet Boys, and I don't think I was able to speak to the other three boys. I just shook their hands, AJ said "Hello darling" and that was it - I was weak in the knees. We took our photos, grabbed our bags and autographed group photo and left. If anyone had been me afterwards, they would have seen bewilderment in my eyes.
My first photo with my four favorite men.
(Thanx for smiling, AJ!)

NKOTBSB lightwand, the wristband and two Backstreet Boys shirt. I had to pace myself, I still had two more concerts ahead. After stopping for merchandise and snacks, we found our seats. I am a fan of the lower bowl in arenas, and that's where we were - lower bowl, about half way up and halfway along the catwalk. We could see everything clearly!

In the past, I haven't been wowed by the opening acts for the Backstreet Boys. I don't usually go home and download the music or research the artist. When Howie D came out to introduce Neverest, the Canadian band he has been managing, I knew that they already had a video circling the music channels. I hadn't done my research on them, but I was pleasantly surprised! Their songs were catchy, and even though they were just the opening-opening act they put on an energized show. I would say that I'd see them again, but I've now seen them three times - they opened for all the NKOTBSB shows I saw.

Matthew Morrison was next. I watch (and enjoy) Glee, but I didn't know any of his solo stuff. I had been so busy trying to get the New Kids music down, I didn't have time to research him or Neverest. Like Neverest, I was impressed by Matthew Morrison. There was one song I was looking forward to in particular, and that was Gold Digger. I was NOT disappointed! I think I can speak for my sister and say that his version of Gold Digger would count as one of the highlights of our NKOTBSB experience.
I'm a huge picture person. I had bought myself a new Canon PowerShot SX220 HS for the concerts. I loved the results! After the VIP event, my battery didn't have much life left and unfortunately I didn't have a back-up. I experience a bit of panic. Jenna doesn't understand why I can't put the camera down, and just enjoy the concert. Honestly, I don't know either.
The anticipation was thicker than ever. I had been waiting months, and I had no idea what I was in for! I know that once the tour had started, the internet was ablaze with all the details of each show. I stayed away from all of the talk. I wanted to see it, and enjoy it - surprises and all! When the nine men took the stage, the excitement was electric!

One of my all-time favorite songs to see the Backstreet Boys perform is The Call. If you ask me, they don't perform it nearly enough! After the opening mash-up and the NKOTB's Summertime, I was thrilled to hear AJ sing "Let me tell you the story 'bout the call that changed my destiny!" Jenna and I belted that song out as loud as our lungs would let us. We barely had time to recover because the New Kids came out and did Dirty Dancing. This was my favorite of theirs.
"She's dirty, dirty dancing, dirty dancing on me!"

The Backstreet Boys did Get Down next. This was a fun first! My absolutely favorite moment came when AJ broke it down for everyone. "C'mon girl and get down! Smack it up, flip it, and move it all around. Here it is if you want to get with this - put you on the top of my list, uh!"


The string of ballads that Backstreet performed was perfect. Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely always gives me goosebumps when I am in the audience. I don't think I had ever seen 10,000 Promises performed, so that was a nice surprise. My sister didn't even recognise the song! I'll Never Break Your Heart, a staple at any Backstreet Boys concert. Then Inconsolable and Drowning, another two of my favorites. And my personal favorite song to see live - Incomplete. This song gives me chills!
The New Kids had their moment to shine. I enjoyed it! My three favorites were Click Click Click, Games and Tonight - luckily, they were all strung together. There was lots of interaction with the crowd (the boys jumped off the stage during Tonight), there was confetti and there was a shirtless Donnie.
Backstreet returned with a dramatic entrance. During Shape of My Heart, the boys walked down through the crowd of the lower bowl. Not my section, but I tried not to take it personally. The boys sang a few of their classics, and then let the New Kids take the stage. After I'll Be Loving You Forever, the Backstreet Boys were back for the ultimate '90s song - I Want It That Way.
Another highlight for me was the introduction period. After IWITW, the boys brought our the New Kids and took turns introducing one another. It was very entertaining. AJ introduced fellow resident badboy, Donnie Walhberg. The tantilizing Nick Carter introduced the Knight brothers. Brian swooned while introducing Joey McIntrye. And Howie D introduced Danny Wood in his typical naughty fashion.


The boys closed out the concert with the NKOTBSB single Don't Turn Out the Lights. I wasn't sure how it would work to have nine different voices on one track, but the mega-boyband made it work. It was neat to see how the nine of them were able to share the stage, and no one tried to out shine the other individuals - they were very much one group at that moment.
True to form, it was encore time. This was hands down my favorite part of the show. AJ started Backstreet off with Everybody. A crowd pleaser for any fan! Then NKOTB came out with their Boston Celtic jerseys and nailed Hangin' Tough. Then they went into We Will Rock You, and the Backstreet Boys joined them in their Orlando Magic jerseys. And it was on! The battle aspect of the mash-up was great! The perfect ending to an incredible concert.





No comments:

Post a Comment