Tuesday 7 February 2012

SS Backstreet 2011 - All aboard!

Friday, December 2nd, 2011
Morning came fast. I had pre-packed the night before, but my luggage was out of control! The number one tip I had gotten from previous cruisers was not to over pack. I definitely over packed! And the more I bought, the heavier my suitcase got. We hadn't even made it to the boat yet, and I could barely shut my suitcase. We got dressed in our cruise apparel - Cortney and her mom in their second time cruisers shirts, me in my first time cruiser shirt and Charlene in her Nick Carter shirt. We called a cab and requested a van because there was four of us and a lot of stuff. Apparently that weekend was the busiest for cabs (some sort of art festival?), so we ended up with a regular cab and a driver who was not pleasant at all. He thought we were going to the airport, but we were going to the Port of Miami. He acted like we had just ruined his day, and even made a phone call in front of us whining about how he had to go to the Port of Miami. It was uncomfortable. That man would not have received a tip from me, that's for certain!

When we arrived at the Port of Miami a very nice gentlemen took our bags, and we began the check-in process. I called my mom quickly because I didn't know if I'd have another chance. I talk to my parents multiple times a day! When something exciting happens, I call my mom to tell her about it. The thought of not being in contact with my parents for the next couple of days was terrifying. It hit me when we were in the security line, and I started to tear up on the phone with my mom. I was starting to get overwhelmed! I had never been on a cruise before, nevermind such an enormous trip. I was completely out of my comfort zone, and I began to panic. I just needed to breathe.

While we were in line to go through security, we saw one of the boys' bodyguards. The older lady who was responsible for guiding us to the right line recognized Nick on Char's shirt and mentioned that he had checked just a few moments earlier.  Gah! If that taxi driver had headed in the right direction in the first place than we might have made it to the port just a few moments sooner and bumped into Nick! Next time..

We were at the port quite early. There wasn't too many cruisers there yet, so we didn't have to wait in a long line to check-in. We got our room keys, wristband, itinerary and boarding card then took a seat near the VIP Check-In door. It didn't take a certified genius to figure out who would be in there. We weren't trying to peer in the door or anything, afterall we were about to board a ship with the Backstreet Boys. We'd have plenty of chances to see them! It was funny to watch how many people tried to enter the VIP Check-In though, whether it was on purpose made to look like an accident, or if it really was an accident. I didn't understand the thought process.. Who would read 'VIP Check-In' and think, "Oh right, that's where I'm suppose to be!" It was odd.

We waited, and chatted. I called my mom and sister again. I had calmed down now, and was no longer on the verge of a panic attack. My mom could tell, and my sister gave me the same advice she had been giving me since I left Canada - just calm down, and have fun. I am such a stresser that sometimes I completely forget to enjoy what is happening. I wasn't about to let that happen on the cruise!

I noticed that security was increasing, and there was a definite shift in the room. The staff started to create barricades out of the rows of seats, so Cortney and I knew where we had to be. We positioned ourselves against the barricades. Slowly the Backstreet Boys, their friends and family, and their staff began to trickle out. Mr. AJ McLean was first. I was disappointed I didn't see Rochelle. I was looking forward to the possibility of meeting her. Then Howie D strolled out. Brian came out with beautiful wife Leighanne. He made fun of all the screaming by yelling back at us. And eventually Nick and Lauren appeared. I've never reached out to touch one of the Backstreet Boys before. I've just never had the urge to, and most of the time I find it weird. When Nick walked past us, he stuck out his hand so my natural reaction was to do the same. I was so excited that I had just touched Nick Carter's hand that I knew these next couple of days were going to be remarkable.

Once the four boys were safe 'n sound on the ship, the process of boarding all of the fans began. At check-in we recieved a baording pass with a zone number on it. We waited for our zone to be called and then headed onto the ship. We stopped to have our photo taken as a group, and once again at a desk so there was an image associated with our room keys - they clearly take security very seriously. The sight from outside was incredible. I knew cruise ships were massive, but when you're standing next to one the feeling is crushing. Once we were onboard, it was tough to tell we were even on a boat. That overwhelming feeling of panic started to creep back in, but it was overpowered by the sheer excitement of what was about to begin...




2 comments:

  1. Eek, i just get excited reliving this moment! I love boarding :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got excited too!!!

    I was totally one of the idiots that accidentally went into the vip area...our tickets said vip on them and all the carnival people werre telling us to go there...that's why we did it...we def weren't trying to be sneaky...trust me...breaking the rules is not my thing!!!

    ReplyDelete